Albert Stoecker came to America in the 1880's, landing in Baltimore. He settled on the Eastern Shore where he became a citizen. He then married a local from Preston, MD, Molly Lubba. They settled in Bellevue before moving to Baltimore County in 1901. Albert died in the late 1920's and his son Francis took on the farming operation. Francis married Mary Cook of the Perry Hall area. They built up their farming operation involving their three children Francis, Irene, and Charles. In 1977 The Stoecker's were asked to be a part of a start up operation - a farmer's market in Baltimore City. Charles "Chuck" a UMD College Park graduate and AG Economist for USDA jumped at the idea. It was a new opportunity to direct market like his Grandfather Joe Cook had done at the Belair Market in Baltimore City.
The new market was on Sunday morning downtown at market place, the site of the old marsh market, later the home of the wholesale commission houses.
Not knowing what to expect Chuck brought the family's trademark greens, peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. The market was overwhelmed with enthusiastic customers. It never took long to sell out, Greens were 35 cents per lb and 3 lbs for $1.00 The Christmas tree truck as it was called because of its red and green color combination is no longer at the market but the family behind it is.